THE PLOT TO OVERTHROW
HOW THE U.S. IS ORCHESTRATING A COUP FOR OIL
Hosted by Sabrina Jacobs
WEDNESDAY AUGUST 14, 7:30 PM
2286 Cedar St
$12 advance tickets: brownpapertickets.com T:800.838.3006, or Books Inc. (Berkeley), or Pegasus Books (3 shops), or Moe’s, or Mrs. Dalloway’s, or Walden Pond Bookstore, or East Bay Books
$15 door, Benefits KPFA
“Kovalik helps to cut through the Orwellian lies and dissembling which make this intervention possible, and just when such truth-telling is so desperately needed.”
—Oliver Stone, Academy Award-winning director & screenwriter
Since 1999 when Hugo Chavez became the elected president of Venezuela, the US has been conniving to overthrow his government and to roll back the Bolivarian Revolution which he ushered in to Venezuela. With the untimely death of Hugo Chavez in 2012, and the election of Nicolas Maduro that followed, the US redoubled its efforts to overturn this revolution. The US is now threatening to intervene militarily to bring about the regime change it has wanted for twenty years. While we have been told that the US’s efforts to overthrow Chavez and Maduro are motivated by altruistic goals of advancing the interests of democracy and human rights in Venezuela, is this true?
The Plot to Overthrow Venezuela answers this question with a resounding “no,” demonstrating that:
- U.S. interests in Venezuela have always centered upon one and only one thing: Venezuela’s vast oil reserves.
- The US has supported one repressive regime after another in Venezuela to protect its oil interests.
- Chavez and Maduro are not the “tyrants” we have been led to believe, but in fact have done much to advance the interests of democracy and economic equality in Venezuela.
- What the US and the Venezuelan opposition resent most is the fact that Chavez and Maduro have governed in the interest of Venezuela’s vast numbers of poor and oppressed racial groups.
- While the US claims that it is has the interests of the Venezuelan people at heart, the fact is that the US war against Venezuela has greatly undermined the health and living conditions of millions of Venezuelans.
The battle for Venezuela now being waged will determine the fate of all of Latin America for many years to come. The Plot to Overthrow Venezuela lets readers know what is at stake in this struggle and urges readers to reconsider which side they are on.
Dan Kovalik is the author of critically-acclaimed The Plot to Scapegoat Russia, The Plot to Attack Iran, and The Plot to Control the World. He has been a labor and human rights lawyer since graduating from Columbia Law School in 1993. He received the David W. Mills Mentoring Fellowship from Stanford Law School, has appeared on Fox News’ The Ingraham Angle, has written extensively for the Huffington Post and Counterpunch, and has lectured throughout the world.